Friday, July 18, 2008

Reading al-Qur'an

You cannot simply read the Qur’an,

not if you take it seriously.

You either have surrendered to it already

you fight it.

It attacks tenaciously,



it debates,



and challenges.

From the outset it draws the line of battle,

and I was on the other side.

~Jeffrey Lang, Mathematics Professor

See his lecture From Atheism to Belief


tommyschmitz said...

One Muslim friend of mine suggested I read it back to front. What do you think?

Also, what is the best English translation? Is it online?

thank you, my friend. - tommy

MJ said...

Hi my friend Tommy

It is an excellent idea to read it back to front. Or even pick a random chapter number and read it..

The translation I trust the most is the translation of Naser Makarem Shirazi. Download link for volume one to five:

Also, the following site provides three popular translations verse-by-verse.. which is useful to show and understand the difficulty of translating the Qur'an:

Thank you for posting.

Wendy R. said...

Hello Muhammad. This is the link you sent me, and the one from which I read from. I checked the second link that you gave Tommy and it wasn't the same one, yet you recommended to him instead of the one I have. Just wondering if the version I have is less credible than the one mentioned prior here?

Here's the link to the one I have. You probably know which I'm speaking of:

Thanks, and hope to talk to you soon.