Fix: Mouse Button Not Working As Back (and Forward) in Firefox3

Firefox3 Download Day

It is Download Day today for Mozilla® Firefox® version 3 final release. Many new, cool and exciting features come with version 3, and there are few problems that comes with it as well. Many extensions I use are not working for me. I can live without some of them, some I need for my usage.

Another tiny little problem in Firefox3 on GNU/Linux, is that the mouse button assignments for Back (and Forward) have changed, to follow X11 customs. Previous versions of Firefox used buttons 6 and 7 for Back and Forward, respectively. Firefox3 uses buttons 8 and 9. You can configure Firefox3 back to use 6 and 7 by editing some hidden preferences.

  1. In the Location bar, type about:config, and press Enter.
  2. The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
  3. In the Filter: box, type mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.
  4. Double-click on mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action, set the value to 2, and click OK. (my original value was 0)
  5. Double-click on mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines, set the value to -1, and click OK. (my original value was 1)
  6. Double-click on mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.sysnumlines, which should set the value to false. (my original value was true)

You can now close the about:config page. Buttons are back working as they should!

So what is up with the trademark signs? Read Is Mozilla Firefox a Free Software?.


Source: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Mouse+buttons+do+not+work+as+Back+and+Forward

Comments

Popular Posts